Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Assignment No. 2

2. How does the text promote chivalry and romance? By romance, I don't mean just love between two people, but heightened sensitivity to feelings and emotions.

In this novel chivalry and romance is promoted through the purer characters. For almost every character besides Prince Manfred, the feelings and well being of the people they interact with are put first. One example is when Matilda and Isabella discover that they both have an interest in Theodore. Neither princess wants to concede his love to the other at first, but at the same time their hearts won't let them betray their friend. So each tried to yield to the other until Theodore's true feelings for Matilda were surfaced by Isabella. This shows the romance side of the novel.

Theodore presents us with many examples throughout the novel. From the beginning when he helps Isabella escape knowing that he will be prosecuted for his acts(chivalry), to not allowing his father to take his place in death sentence(romance). Also when Theodore fights Frederick for Isabella even though Frederick is a seasoned knight. He constantly puts his neck on the line for the women of the castle even though he has just met all of them(chivalry). Even when Matilda helps him to escape from the black tower he is hesitant because he fears the consequences she might face for helping him(chivalry).

I also believe that Walpole uses the tyranny of Manfred to exemplify the chivalry and romance shown through the other characters. Without the tyranny no one would have a chance to save the damsel in distress or to sacrifice themselves for someone they love.

5 comments:

  1. Most excellent post Adam. In the 18th century, the middle class was on the rise and fascinated with the aristocracy, who were descended from courtly knights. They could more easily put themselves in the role of a knight as opposed to an modern-day aristocrat. Knights were awarded their position based on bravery rather than birth. Plus, the middle-class likely thought the modern-day aristocrat has lost his/her sense of honor, and by harkening back to a better day, they could experience a type of "wish fulfillment. Good post. LD

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with what you have said Adam. I also thought about writing on the chivalry displayed in the novel. However you commented and talked about ideas i hadn't even thought of. I felt that the chivalry Theodore demonstrated was easy to be seen but what you said about Isabella and Matildas conversation was excellent. This also gave a different perspective of showing chivalry. I also felt that what you said about Walpole exemplifying romance and chivalry in other characters, using Manfreds tyranny was excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't think about Manfred as Theodore's foil to promote chivalry until your post. Manfred's tyrant actions most definitely define the goodness of Theodore's heart.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would add that Theodore, rightful heir, marrying Isabella is an act of Chivalry by the restoration of the line of the Great Antonio to rule the land of Otronto.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree that with what you said. I would add also that I think that Hippolita shows us romance and chivalry in way. She deals with everything so even tempered. She seems that she has very tough skin and yet very gentle towards everyone. They make her seem so angelic but I got a different idea about her. Walpole did do a very good job of showing chivalry through Theodore and showed almost the opposite of chilvalry with Manfred i liked the contrast. Since Theodore was the rightful king it shows us that in order to be a good king you must have chilvalry.

    ReplyDelete